Thursday, December 24, 2009

The Lost Symbol

OK, I may not be reading the "Twilight" books, but I do read Dan Brown.  Quick reads, page turners...
I don't know how accurate Brown's linguistic and symbolic interpretations are but they are what makes the stories enjoyable.  This story starts with a kidnapping and evolves to something more complex.  Of course the perpetrator of this is determined that this is an act of revenge and therefore those who have wronged him must suffer significantly......  The hero and heroine are not sure who to trust as they try to rescue their kidnapped brother and friend.  They are also unaware of the full purpose of the crime which come to light as they interpret situations and clues.

I am fond of character in literature, Mr. Brown doesn't spend much time on character.  But the world could possibly use a few more Peter Solomans.  Peter is the target of revenge.  His sister and friend are trying to find him before the dastardly dude does him in and we discover the nature of their loyalties as they interact.  Peter really has very little plot time, but his is the most fully developed character.  He is admirable in his compassion, generosity, restraint and his cultivation of the greatness in others. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made fun of his books for years--YEARS--and then figured I'd better read what I was making fun of . . . and stayed up all night turning pages to find out how the Davinci Code ended. Totally taught me a lesson. And yes, I've read two Twilight books. I've decided that writing that makes you turn pages is magical.
Good or bad writing you can debate, but the magic, that intangible magic of plot and pacing is undeniable. Now, on to Nicolas Sparks. Um, well, maybe in a few more days.

Thanks for the lovely Christmas card and congratulations. I'm still reeling. I'm black and blue from pinching myself, but I still am in shock and so are the kids. Wonderful shock.

Unknown said...

i think i'm #58 on the waiting list at the library to read this latest dan brown book. ;) my institute teacher read it and said it had some connection to our religion . . . i can't quite remember what he said. anyhow, it sounds like a great read!