Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Tourism at Home


Mom and Barbara came for a visit. I don't think Mom would have come without Barbara so I am grateful for her willingness to travel to see us and to bring Mom. I had pretty much resigned myself to the idea that my mother would probably never visit us again.

We did lots of fun things. David took the week off. We went whale watching. Gray whales are not as exciting as orca's but it was still a chance to see whales and it was still pretty cool. We saw cormorants, grebes and bald eagles along with the whales. This picture is of cormorants on top of pilings as we pulled into the dock. The whales are too hard to get a picture of, but we did get to smell whale breath. The gray whales feed on the bottom and have kind of a mucky smelling breath.









We went up to Skagit Valley for the daffodils blooming in the fields. That is the picture that is at the top. It would normally be tulips by this time of year, but it has been a cold winter. The peak bloom will be beautiful in a couple of weeks. This is the largest bulb producing region in the world and is pretty impressive when in bloom. These are some early tulips.





















Our outside activities were somewhat limited by the weather, but we did manage a little walk in our nearby woods where the fungus was fascinating and the trillium was in bloom.




We also spent a little time with a stroll in the Arboretum. And I as usual enjoyed the shaggy bark of this tree - whose name I can't recall.










Our Camellia won't be blooming this year because of the cold winter. But there were some beauties in the Arboretum.









We went to Pike's Market where the flower stalls were also beautiful with daffodils. They even air brush some of them an orange color, but the ones in the picture are all natural.

We walked along taking advantage of some of the free tastes along the way. Expensive balsamic vinegar flavored with blackberry could have had us standing around that booth for a long time and then there are the Chukar Cherries (chocolate covered dried cherries), ummmm.



We went to the glass museum in Tacoma. It is pretty cool to watch them blow and shape glass in the hot shop there adn walk across the bridge of glass. I'll have to wait for Barb to send pictures of that one as I didn't bring my camera. Look for Tacoma Museum of Glass on the internet and you can see glass blowing on the internet.

We also took the Boeing tour. Kids - it's much better than it was when you guys were young and we took it on a spring break. It was pretty impressive to see five planes in one building. Again -- no pictures - they will confiscate and not return your camera if you try to take it on the tour.

Lots of fun activities, good food, and a restful round of "Jeeves and Wooster" in the evenings. Almost too much fun for one week.

4 comments:

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

Sue, this all sounds perfect. I just told Curtis that we are coming to visit you next spring to do all of those things. Thanks for the pictures.

Isn't trilium just perfect, too?

Katie said...

Sigh...I keep telling Martell he needs to see Washington in the spring. You did some of my favorite things! At least he can see pictures. He says we'll go someday when we aren't busy...like when we are retired! HA! Maybe next year I won't be pregnant for spring break.

Sue Rasmussen said...

Well I did post this in hopes of attracting more tourists.

April is tulip month.

The gray whales are around in April but the Orcas are around in the summer months.

The aboretum is at it's best in early May, but is beautiful anytime.

Pike's Market is good anytime, but is crowded in the summer.

There are other places or remarkable beauty in the mountains. We didn't try to take my mother hiking.

Anonymous said...

Seattle is pretty wonderful in the fall too! We loved our two visits and have a hankering to go back there sometime soon. We'll let you know for sure this time! I loved the photos (you're amazing at taking photos) and I'm so glad you go to enjoy the glories of site seeing at home. I find that I enjoy my home the very most when I have people to show it off too. Such wonderful hosts, you two, I'm sure your mother and Barbara will be back soon.