Monday, January 12, 2009

In Defense of High Heels


I like being taller
Men talk to me when I wear them - is that just because I'm closer to their eye level?
I feel sexy when I wear them - is that because men talk to me? hmmmm.... or .....
My husband notices my legs when I wear them and that is my best shot at a foot rub.
My husband and I kiss at even lip level when I wear them.
My tummy seems flatter when I wear them - I don't know how that works
They are fun to wear when dancing.

Why do I need to defend high heels? Because I just sprained my ankle while wearing them.
I might have any way - I tripped in the dark while trying to make my way around the yard debris container which was waiting for it's Monday morning appointment. I will also admit that I might not have sprained my ankle if I had been wearing my grandma shoes which are stable, unprovacative, unremarkable and sensible. I like my grandma shoes for what they are - easy to wear when I want to be invisible or ordinary. They are great for wearing while teaching. They just don't have the same effect on my mood as high heels.

I'll be wearing my grandma shoes for a while while my ankle mends, but the high heels will return.

3 comments:

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

Love this, Sue!

You know, the summer our family visited your home when I was a little girl, I sprained my ankle walking up your front walk. So maybe it's not the heels...(just trying to lend support to your brilliant defense.)

Katie said...

Your tummy is flatter when you wear heals. The difference in the angle your feet are at causes you to tighten different muscle groups than usual to keep your balance, including your abs. That's also why it makes your legs look better. It also makes you a little more precariously perched. Darn. Hope the ankle heals up fast!

Anonymous said...

I laughed my head off and totally agree--only I broke my foot so I can't wear them anymore--or at least not yet because the bone didn't knit up properly. It is a sad, sad day. But I discovered wedges and they're almost as good.