Thursday, June 25, 2009

Food Dreams

I don't normally dream about food. I only a "foodie" by marriage and parenthood and I had food dreams the other day. Ahhh this was so good I have to share. No pictures - sorry about that - we ate it all and went back for seconds. Though the recipe calls it a salad we ate it like it was a main dish. This is a meal that won't heat up your kitchen as it takes almost no heat.
The recipe, in it's original form, came from a column in the usaweekly magazine by Pam Anderson. There is room for lots of variation.

Moroccan Couscous & Chickpea Salad.
1 cup couscous
1/2 cup dried cherries (you could substitute, craisins, golden raisins, or cut dried apricots)
1 cup boiling water

Pour boiling water over couscous and dried cherries, cover and let sit for about 5 minutes

2 T olive oil
1 Large orange bell pepper, cut to bite size pieces (we used a red pepper)
1 Large onion, halved and sliced thinly (we used a Walla Walla so it was a sweet flavor, a red Burmuda would be pretty, and notice that the recipe doesn't call for a sweet onion)
1 1/2 tsps. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon

Heat Olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add peppers and onions. Saute for about 5 minutes. Add spices and salt and pepper as they cook. Add this mixture to the couscous and cherries.

1 16 oz. can chickpeas, drained

Add the chickpeas to the couscous mixture.


3 T olive oil
3 T rice wine vinegar
3 T orange juice concentrate

Whisk these ingredients together and pour over salad. Toss to coat.

Makes six side dish servings.

We ate this at room temperature.
DER took the left overs the next day after they had been in the fridge. He reports that they were OK.

The recipe called for chopped fresh cilantro - we left this for last in order to cater to our individual preferences. DER likes it and I'm not so fond of it.

3 comments:

Susannah said...

Mom is trying to get me to be more of a cook, but honestly, it is SO hard to cook for one. I lose more food to spoilage than I actually eat, so getting take-out is cheaper. Having said that, though, this is a recipe that I could do fairly easily and it sounds like leftovers are an option (critical to those of us who are alone). I'm definitely going to try it this summer. And I'll invite mom to have some so she knows I at least know HOW to cook! :)

Katie said...

yummy. Cooking for two isn't much easier than one. I know what you mean Susannah. We'll have to give it a try.

Sue Rasmussen said...

Well we are down to two at our house - most of the time - so that has prompted some change in our cooking styles. Mostly changes I like. And I love leftovers - personally I can eat the "reruns" longer than David can. We did cut the recipe down when we made it for us two. So when I said we ate it all with just a little bit left over. The two of us ate about half the recipe.
Hope you like it.