Monday, June 1, 2009

I love summer

Reasons to love Summer

1. Eating from the garden. Starting with the Aspargus which doesn't need anything on it if you eat it right after you pick it. It's season is almost over. It is time to let the stalks grow to nuture next years wonderfulness. Please note my well composted bed. Also note that the fennell seeds that sprouted from the compost have been removed. There were probably a couple thousand fennell seedlings. Sigh.... compost just doesn't get hot enough around here to decompose those tough little seeds.


2. Eating from the garden deserves more than one spot. The Rhubarb season starts with DER's birthday pie near the end of April. The Rhubarb is wonderful and doesn't need as much sugar as some varieities. This variety, whose name is long forgotten, gives so generously and is lacking that "green rhubarb" flavor that so many people dislike. We've had a couple of pies and a cobbler and given some away to rhubarb fans in our acquaintance. The plant is still vigourous and does well in this cool summer climate in the Northwest. We'll be eating rhubarb goodies most of the summer and have some put away in the freezer for rhubarb cake through the winter months. Yummmmmy.

3. The bees are energetically buzzing the raspberry and blue berry plants - more wonderfulness to look forward too.

4. Sleeping with the windows open and hearing bird song when I wake up.

5. Western Tanagers have been flitting in the alder tree with their bright orange heads, which are amazingly well camouflaged for orange.

6. The "fluff" of the cottonwood trees drifting down like a warm snow and gathering along the edges of our world.

7. The need to weed seems to slow down.

8. Eating outside

9. and .... best for almost last....Long daylight hours, especially in the morning - and most especially when I am teaching seminary and it is day light instead of dark night.

10. and .... "bestest for lastest"..... Those long road trips to see various family members that this year, for the first time, will include a grand child. Yipppeee!

6 comments:

Katie said...

oh yum. I think I am in love with summer. We wake up to pigeons outside our window. And occasionally some bird that gets pretty distressed sounding. I think it has a nest in the top of our building somewhere. I miss the berries. Berries are perhaps my favorite of fruits. And Martell would be jealous of the rhubarb. He loves the stuff. And we can't wait to see you! Seriously! Can't wait! The sooner you are here means that the sooner that grand baby will have gotten here.

Erin M. said...

i've never seen how asparagus grows before... Interesting.

Hansel said...

what a lovely summer. what lovely words. I like you, Sue. And I like your summer loves. We made strawberry rhubarb pie for John's birthday meal. DELICIOUSO! And I too love light mornings. I find no matter how late I go to bed, I feel ready to get up and run around at 6am because the sun is high and yelling for me to get out of bed and play.

I''m also so excited for Katies baby! OH, it's going to be a perfect, perfect summer. (sigh, john, not mary)

Susannah said...

Amen to 1. eating fresh produce; 2. RHUBARB!!!; 4. an absolute necessity in Summer; and all of 7 thru 9, especially 9. I'd add sleeping outside under the stars - always a favorite summer activity.

Sue Rasmussen said...

sleeping outside is wonderful - just not common in my world. Kansas has chiggers and Washington has slugs - both of which have unpleasant side effects. Chigger bites would have been inevitable; slug slime takes a layer or two of skin when you scrub it off, but is not as inevitable.

Susannah said...

Yeah, I can see slugs and chiggers being problems. My worst problems were dogs and cats (especially Gracie) trying to slip into my bag or sleep on my head - definitely not a big deal by comparison.